Why should you start Blogging in 2019.

I work in an office with young dynamic individuals. Each of them leaders in my opinion. All of them have either helped me shape some of my decisions that have got me to where I am today. Still the, the looming joke in the office is – “I’m stating blogging in 2019”. 5 years running. I wish they would. If they helped me, heck, how many other people in my position still need to hear good advice and a voice to listen to? I get that life can get busy, many things call for our attention.

This is why I think blogging can become a discipline to help us clear our thoughts and to mark the trajectory of our careers, influence and community. I truly believe that blogging can set you apart from the rest of internet users. 1% of internet users produce fresh content while the other 99% devour it on their couch at home through their devices. Don’t you want to be a producer of holism content? Don’t you want to have influence in your expertise? I’ve been playing with the idea for 5 years. I now believe I’ve gained enough experience to have a say, lead a way, cultivate and bring knowledge to many.

Why I started blogging.

  1. Self-improvement and personal development

Blogging has given me a place to express myself. Something very powerful happens when you get into the habit of ordering and writing down your thoughts, ideas, stories and opinions. You find out where your flaws are. It forces you to research and learn more to become an authority on your topic. Your opinion becomes sharpened and respected.

Blogging will also help me improve my communicating skills that I’ve battled with so many years. I know blogging will help me confront fears and doubts I have and bring confidence.

2. Relationships

At this point in my career, I’ve made plenty relationships offline from travel, instagram DM’s, cold call emails and putting myself in situations that haven’t always been comfortable but pivotal to learning. I’ve seen the power of social media. I’ve decided to enhance it’s power and make relationships. Blogs give normal people a ‘voice’ to share their story, experiences and ideas. They create community and a place for others to come and interact around your ideas, stories and experience. Is that not a thriving eco system for relationships?

3. Attracting an audience

Blogging enables you to reach the billions of people that use the Internet. Blogging can help you promote yourself or your business. I don’t work for myself but feel like I have knowledge to bring to other business owners. Blogging works as a method for attracting an audience because it provides something of value to internet users before asking for anything in return. By creating a blog that is of value, you can attract an audience and eventually convert them to customers, partners, friends or otherwise.

4. To push myself creatively

How many of us have hit the wall creatively? I find myself reading so many other opinions, listening to voices in hope of becoming more creative. Blogging is going to help me create, give me an avenue and force me out of my normal creative process. My first skill is videography. Videography is wide when you think of the mediums you can show it through, artistic story telling, and can get technical when incorporated to a live stream production or concert. I’m hoping blogging will help me listen to the online audience and create content of value and answer the questions being asked.

Blogging is FREE (or affordable)

Anyone can start a blog for free. And if you want more freedom with your blog, you can self-host, which is affordable for almost anyone. I host my website through Afrihost here in South Africa. A domain name is less that a movie ticket. You can get started with your blog with under R200. Think of the rewards R200 and effort can bring you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *